Piha Surf Life Saving Club’s Nippers are the bright young patrollers of the future. Our coaches are fabulous, the programmes are both fun and educational, and our programme continues to grow.
Surf Club season 1 July 2022- 30 June 2023
Nippers runs in person sessions Oct-April each year
We look forward to seeing existing members and new ones, Sundays at 10am on the beach, at the A,B or C yellow “FILTA” flags (as per your age group) in togs ready to go!
Not sure- ask a coach or coordinator in a dark green Piha Junior Surf T shirt!
Please wear togs, bring towel, sunscreen, water. (Surf fins as per discussions with your coach).
New to Piha or Nippers? Please feel free to join us for a free trial to see if this is a fit for your family! Please arrive by 9.45am so we can loan you a vest and cap. Contact email@example.com for any questions.
All paid members receive a free high visibility vest if you don’t already have one.
Days and times available throughout the week for
Takapuna Beach. 6.00pm-7.00pm
To participate Tuesdays: Competency on knee board needs to be signed off by coach before attending the session. This session is for those who wish to compete and will cover race techniques. Discuss with coaches about availability of club gear or need for your own board.Must have achieved their 200m safety badge. (Meet Hauraki Road end of beach. Allow time for traffic and parking. Starting 3 Nov ’22- March ‘23)
Learning & developing skills in a fun way
The purpose of our Junior Surf Program is to enrich the lives of our young members through engaging activities and active participation, leading to the acquisition of personal, life saving and competition skills, in a safe aquatic environment. Members will be educated in surf safety as well as confident to undertake training for their Surf Lifeguard Award at age 14.
- To learn the skills required to gain the Surf Lifeguard Award.
- To provide the best possible life saving experience for all our juniors with the view to encourage long-term active participation.
- To provide opportunities for juniors to actively participate in and enjoy life saving and competition in an aquatic environment.
- To ensure our junior members are safe on New Zealand beaches through building knowledge and experiences in our Junior Surf Program.
- To develop a team based philosophy encompassing leadership, camaraderie, teamwork and fun.
- To promote social, emotional and physical health and development in a healthy safe environment.
- Involve parents and interested members of the community as leaders, coaches and administrators.
Our nippers are kindly sponsored by
Born on October 2nd 2012 = Age 9 – A Group
Children ages 5 – 13 years and their families can join our club and participate in our Junior Surf Program between October and March. Members are encouraged to participate in inter-club, regional and national competitions. We encourage children to have fun and develop their skills, so they can enjoy the beach and one day might be able to save someone else too. It’s about developing tomorrow’s lifeguards and opening up a whole new world to children.
The Piha Junior Surf Club uniform is:
- High-vis safety vest – Compulsory for ALL ages. If you do not already have a vest, we supply one per year free of charge, thanks to our sponsor Filta. Additional vests can be purchased at $15 through Nippers Admin. These can be collected at the first day of Nippers.
- Swim Skull Cap – Compulsory for all age groups, for all Sunday training sessions. $25. Buy through Swim T3.
- Black or Piha Togs –Piha branded togs are available from Swim T3, or plain black togs are a good alternative.
- Rash shirts for sun protection – Optional.
- Wetsuit – Optional
T3 Swim in Newmarket holds our Piha Nipper gear (plus fins, googles etc) located next to the Domain with free parking , 65 Carlton Gore Road, Newmarket, Auckland. https://swimt3.co.nz/pages/search-results-page?q=piha
PIHA SUPPORT GEAR
We additionally have adult size sweatshirts, jackets etc available at T3, and some weekends at Piha.