Our ‘Nippers’ learning & developing skills in a fun way
Piha Surf Life Saving Club’s Nippers are the bright young patrollers of the future. Our coaches are fabulous, the programmes are both fun and educational, and our programme continues to grow.
The purpose of our Junior Surf Program is to enrich the lives of our young members through engaging activities and active participation, leading to the acquisition of personal, life saving and competition skills, in a safe aquatic environment. Members will be educated in surf safety as well as confident to undertake training for their Surf Lifeguard Award at age 14.
- To learn the skills required to gain the Surf Lifeguard Award.
- To provide the best possible life saving experience for all our juniors with the view to encourage long-term active participation.
- To provide opportunities for juniors to actively participate in and enjoy life saving and competition in an aquatic environment.
- To ensure our junior members are safe on New Zealand beaches through building knowledge and experiences in our Junior Surf Program.
- To develop a team based philosophy encompassing leadership, camaraderie, teamwork and fun.
- To promote social, emotional and physical health and development in a healthy safe environment.
- Involve parents and interested members of the community as leaders, coaches and administrators.
Our nippers are kindly sponsored by
- Tadpoles: ages 5 & 6
- A Group: ages 7, 8 & 9
- B Group: ages 10 & 11
- C Group: ages 12 & 13
- Rookie Lifeguards: ages 13 & 14
- Born on October 1, 2006 = A Group age 9
- Born on September 30, 2006 = B Group age 10
Children ages 5 – 13 years and their families can join our club and participate in our Junior Surf Program between October and March. Members are encouraged to participate in inter-club, regional and national competitions. We encourage children to have fun and develop their skills, so they can enjoy the beach and one day might be able to save someone else too. It’s about developing tomorrow’s lifeguards and opening up a whole new world to children.